Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My journey down the West Coast is moving to a close so i thought I would stick a few great moments to track my progress to a great finale coming later in the week. 6.30 am as sun comes up in Monterey, the sand gets everywhere making it look like morning frost or snow.
Big Sur then looms out of the ocean at around 11.30am in readiness for lunch and some breath taking views. The bridges look hairy but actually its a nice drive if taken slowly.

Rounding a corner, 10 birds are circling ahead, turns out to be 30% of the Worlds population of the now very rare California Condor. And all of them were right in front of the Nikon baby 70-200VR, couldnt resist. These things are huge is all i can say and i think they were more curious of the watchers than being watched.
Towards the south there lies a bunch of the laziest critters I have every seen, Elephant Bull Seals sun bathing and snoring.
Down to Santa Barbara for the next day, and an early morning visit to the Pier picks out the great colours and the sea fog hanging around. Here I captured the shot of the week below and just loved the sea air so close and so early. Never catch any fish though.
Finally I get to LA and meet actors, well the sushi chef had been in Black Rain and the Manager of the restaurant was in most movies from Oceans 11 to Swat and Miami Vice. Everyone's an actor in LA, everyone. I was content with waking the next day, opening the shades and seeing the morning sun making the skyline a breath taking scence, even for LA.
As I move south to the OC and La Jolla I get to see southern CA and its brilliance. More installments to come I am sure.