Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tonight I just wanted to post, no images, nothing photographic just some simple thoughts. I organised and gave a Photography lecture last week. Entry level stuff about exposure, white balance and digital with a heavy slant to portrait and landscape techniques and the common rules.

50 people attended and whilst 80% of the room was Canon users, us Nikon boys & girls hung in there. I moved away from Canon 2 years ago after being with them for 18 years. I felt being so large the service when needed, was very removed from the end user. I started travelling and found Nikon lighter, more flexible and after 2 years if you get it right, the images I feel for my style of shooting are more real life.

So before I open up the Canon/Nikon debate I am dedicated to Nikon for their service, build quality and general availability compared to others. Many of my favourite photographers and growing friendships are Nikon boys and one of the reasons I started down this path again.

Another debate is PC or Apple. Well you know what, thank you to Apple for an amazing product. I am still using my 6 year old Quicksilver tower and yes she is struggling now with large files and is a little slower on the Photoshop I have gone through 3 PC's in the same period.

Photoshop CS2 is perfect and Capture One Pro for RAW using iView to catalogue. I am being tempted by Aperture on a daily basis, but need a new MAC for that so we shal see.

Anyway thank you Nikon, Apple and PhaseOne and Adobe. I hope to become all I can be with you and my growing friends. Check out Ray Santana and Kevin Keelan. Two inspirations and great people who guide and stear with great images and experiences when I loose a path.